Dr. Luis A. Betances
- University of Niza-Sofia-Antipolis, Nice, France 1994
Diploma in Video-Laparoscopy in General Surgery
- University of Aix-Marseille II, Marseille, France 1994
Interuniversity Diploma in General Surgery
Thesis: “Partial Hepatectomies with Resection of Inferior Vena Cava”
- University of Aix-Marseille II, Marseille, France 1993
Diploma in Digestive Endoscopy
- University of Aix-Marseille II, Marseille, France 1991
Diploma in Anatomy and Surgical Techniques
- Instituto Tecnológico de Santo Domingo (INTEC), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 1988
- General Direction. Barna Business School. Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom. September 2007.
- Seminary in Endo-Surgery Institute, a Staged Approach to Weight Loss Surgery. Cincinnati, OH. September 2007.
- Proctorship Program on Hand Assisted Laparoscopic Colectomy, University of Puerto Rico, School of Medicine, Rio Piedra, PR. Jay Redan, M.D. March 2006.
- Post graduate Masters’ Course: Bariatric Surgery. American Society for Bariatric Surgery, June-July 2005.
- CME “Bariatric Surgery”: American College of Surgeons. San Francisco, CA, October 2005.
- Comprehensive 4 days Training Program in Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery including: Advanced Training in Multidisciplinary setting. For U.S. Bariatric in Fort Lauderdale, FL with Robert Marema M.D., July 2004
- Post-graduate Course in Advanced Bariatric Surgery, 21st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. San Diego, June 2004.
- Post-graduate Course in Bariatric Surgery Primer of American College of Surgeons, 2003.
- Certification in Gastric By-Pass: Surgical Treatment of Morbid Obesity, University of Virginia Health System, M.Gagner Pr. M. Vix Dr. 2003.
- Certification in Laparoscopic Left and Right Adrenalectomy, University of Virginia Health System, J. Mascareux. Pr., D. Mutter Pr. 2003
- Certificate of Participation in Bariatric Surgery in the Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Section of Minimally Invasive Surgery of the Cleveland Clinic, in Weston, with Dr. Raul Rosenthal, 2003.
- Certification in Bariatric Surgery (Laparoscopic Gastric By-Pass) with 90 hours of Hand Surgery Practice. Johnson and Johnson, with Dr. Dillip Dan proctor, 2003.
- Certification in Bariatric Surgery (Adjustable Swedish Gastric Band) OBTECH, Johnson and Johnson, with Dr. Javier de la Garza, 2003.
- Certification in Bariatric Surgery (Lap-Band Techniques) Bioenterics with Pr. G.B.Cardiere, Bruxels, Belgium 2002.
- Course in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, European Center of Laparoscopoic Surgery. Bruxels, Belgium 2002.
- Seminary of Laparoscopic Surgery, University of Niza-Sofia-Antipolis 1994.
- Seminary and Laparoscopic Training Course in Laveran Armees Hospital, Marseille, France 1992.
- Certification of Preparatory Studies for General Surgery Specialty, University of Aix-Marseille II, 1990.
- Director of General Surgery Deparment at CEDIMAT, Plaza de la Salud.
- Director of Obesity Surgery Department at CEDIMAT, Plaza de la Salud.
- Medical Director of Intituto Bariátrico S.A. in the Dominican Republic.
- Website owner of Bariatrica.com
PUBLICATIONS, Papers and Congresses
- Laparoscopic Bariatric Gastric Band, American College of Surgeons, 58th Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, February 2008. Faculty
- Complications in Bariatric Surgery by VideoLaparoscopy and Diagnostic Treatment of Laparoscopic in Bariatric Surgery complications. Puerto Alegre, Brazil . August 2007. Faculty
- IV Jornada Médico Científica Dr. Juan Manuel Taveras Rodríguez: Future’s technology. Presentation of surgical technique: Fobi’s surgery. Sto. Dgo., Dom. Rep. July 2006. Speaker
- VII Latinamerican Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. “Bariatric Surgery in the Caribbean”. Miami, FL. July 2006. Speaker
- VIII Round table conference on Bariatric Surgery. Summer Congress from Dominican College of Surgeons. July 2005. Speaker
- III Jornada Médico Científica Dr. Juan Manuel Taveras Rodríguez. March 2005. Speaker
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: A 120 cases series. Presented at the XXV Session from South-East, Marseille, January 1995.
- A rare tumor from the liver: Malignant fibrous histiocytoma. Clinical and therapeutic aspects with literature review. Case presentation. Presented at the XXV Session from South-East, Marseille, January 1995.
- Presented problems in the replacement of the Supra-Renal Vena Cava in the course of partial hepatectomies. With regards to two observations. Presented at the XXV Session from South-East, Marseille, January 1995..
- Early postoperative tomographic studies in pneumonectomized patients – Third Annual Session of Thoracic Imaging, Marseille, 1990.
- Advanced Bariatric Surgery: Controversies in Bariatric Surgery. Plenary Session. San Diego, CA. June 2007.
- II International Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. Experience of the first 180 cases of Bariatric Surgery minimally invasive. Bariatric Institute. La Habana, Cuba. November 2005.
- XVI Panamerican Congress of Endocrinology. Bariatric Surgery: To whom, how and when. Bavaro, Dom. Rep. 2005.
- 89th Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, 2003.
- European Congress of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery. Bruxels, Belgium. 2002.
- XIX Latinamerican Hospitals Federation Assembly in Sto. Dgo. 1996.
- 96th French Congress of Surgery, Paris, 1994.
- XXV Surgical Session of South-East, Marseille, January 1995.
- XVI Pathology, Digestive Surgery and Video-laparoscopy Session, Nice. February 1994.
- First Pediatric Surgery Session de la Timone, Marseille, 1993.
- First Medical-surgical encounter of hepato-gastroenterology, Marseille, November 1993.
- 95th French Congress of Surgery, Paris. October 1993.
- Surgical Sessions of Digestive Surgery from Dr. FEKETE, Xavier Bichat Faculty of Medicine, Paris, April 1993.
- XXIII Surgical Session of South-East, Marseille 1991.
- XXII Surgical Session of South-East, Marseille, 1990. Third Annual Session of Thoracic Imaging, Marseille, 1990.
- X Congres SFCL Société Française de Chirurgie Laparoscopique. Experience of the first 100 cases of Bariatric Surgery, Bariatric Institute. Punta Cana, Dom. Rep. January 2005.
- Certificate of Achievement Management Practice. GE Healthcare. Nov. 2005.
- Juan Manuel Taveras Rodríguez Award for the implementation of surgical advanced techniques and collaboration in professional training. December 2006.
- Native Language: Spanish
- Other Languages: French - Excellent fluency and accuracy. Proficient reading and writing skills
- English – Good listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
- American Society for Bariatric Surgery
- The Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Dominican College of Surgeons.
- Latinamerican Association of Endoscopic Surgery (ALACE)
- Latinamerican Association of Endoscopic Surgery (ALACE), Delegate